Wednesday 20 November 2013

Paddy's in the spotlight again

For any new readers, just so you know Paddy is my port and not a mad Irish cousin of mine!
After I was discharged from hospital on the Friday, under the promise I would take it very steady, I stupidly got my IV line caught when connected and ended up yanking my gripper out - not a pleasant experience! I rang the cf ward as it was 7pm on a Saturday & all I could hear was Sweety laughing on the other end of the phone saying 'what are you like!' so I quickly popped down (bonus to being 1min away from hosp) and she put a new gripper in. Unfortunately some of the drug had gotten in the skin so for the next week I spent everyday going down to hospital as it would work for a while and then stop. In the end it wouldn't work at all! Judith said she'd book me in for a Portacathogram (which Charlie and I think sounds like some sort of strip-o-gram for hospital people!).
My worst fear was that it was kinked or there was a leak which would mean an op to have it out and I would be Paddy-less. Luckily the scan revealed that nothing was wrong and we've put it down to the area being swollen due to the drug leaking into my skin when I pulled the gripper out. So much drama.
I was in a bit of a funny mood all week, quite low and fed up. I guess I was thinking too much about things. I went back to work and was just exhausted, even though I had only done two days and then it was the weekend. Even today, it's only Wednesday and I'm ready for a weekend so I can rest.
The main worry is I didn't manage the two weeks of IVs as paddy threw a strop so I could get poorly again soon, but then on the other hand I could be fine! The past week I've been feeling okay but a temperature of 37.8 every day and I'm not entirely sure why. They usually come down but then later on are back up again, I've had a little bit of chest pain but my breathing is ok and I'm feel fine in myself. Me being me just carries on and tries to ignore it! I was sitting in bed the other night thinking other people don't have to worry this much about the possibility of getting sick, to others it seems such a silly thing to worry about as you can't do anything to avoid it (as such) but when you're in that situation it does crop up in your mind from time to time. In a couple of weekends it's Tom's birthday, then Christmas, then new year and then my 21st & I was thinking, if I need IVs I don't want to miss out on any of these occasions, hopefully I can make it to the 9th Jan without feeling ill enough for IVs!
Well now all the boring medical things are out the way I can say that I have finally sorted out my 21st (minus a few details like making things) so I am very excited about that! I have found the perfect sparkly dress for it too so even more exciting although maybe not for any male readers who probably have stopped reading by the word 'sparkly'! :)
I'm just needing to organise myself at the moment as I have so many things I need to do for my birthday, Christmas, work things. Which is mainly why it's taken me a while to write this blog as I've been so busy doing various things.
Have a good rest of the week and I'll try to keep things updated!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment